Wednesday, May 02, 2007

my balancing act

In case you are wondering what I did today...

I went out on the Carter Cruiser with my husband, who had a humming chain saw in one hand and was steering with the other. He decided that it was time to cut some of the dead wood off of a tree that had fallen in the lake during the hurricanes a couple of years ago. Since the lake is very low right now many branches are exposed, so it is a good opportunity.

While Doug wields the chain saw, I sit and try to protect myself from the flying sawdust. I am not there for moral support, nor necessarily for help, although at times I can be quite helpful. I am really there just to help balance the Carter Cruiser while he works.

Since the brances are many pronged, we then work together to try to negotiate our way out of the fallen treetops with the newly cut branch in hand. This is often tricky. At one point Doug said to me, "Careful."
"Careful?" I questioned.
He then replied, "What I guess I really mean is watch out."

I don't have many options for watching out since I am sitting in a molded seat. Only once today did a branch actually fall on my head. But, it was a little one.

This tree that has basically been submerged for the better part of the past few years smells really horrific and it weighs substantially more than it would had it not been soaking up water all that time. It is quite an undertaking and I sometimes feel like I am in one of those adventure movies hacking my way through a jungle...

...surely there must be a hidden treasure somewhere.

1 comment:

Cherylyn said...

Cute blog Moo...loved the ending!