Sunday, August 09, 2009

mtc

I have finished my two-month training to be a remote missionary. It has been a very interesting experience. I have truly loved feeling a part of a world-wide missionary group. My trainers, Elder and Sister Blanchard live in Wendouree, Australia. Most days of the week we would have class with our group which live in many different time zones. My training assistant,  Sister Justus lives in Parker, Colorado. She works full-time and has two grown handicapped children that she cares for. This is definitely a part- time experience for her. As missionaries, we are asked to serve at least 12 hours a week. Many of the missionaries serve significantly more hours than that though.

Now I have been assigned to Sister McClure’s Carolina group. She is from Hopkins, SC. My companions, Elder and Sister Voyles are from Tallahassee, FL. Not all 14 of us in Sister McClure’s group are from the east coast though, because Elder Earle is from Oregon. He must be an early riser!

There are three things that I do.

1. Attend in-service type classes. So far, it seems like there are three a week. They are recorded and emailed to us in case we are unable to listen to them live.

2. Answer emails. Patrons click on the link in new FamilySearch and can ask questions. Sometimes we email a response back to them and sometimes we call them back.

3. Answer phones. In order for me to answer a call, I log into the church’s website and make my self “available”. Then when calls come in, they are answered by the next available missionary. There are hundreds of missionaries supporting new FamilySearch. Those calls are being sent to missionaries, most likely in their homes, all over the world. We have many resources for answers…which is good, especially if you are a newbie like me. Everyone has been amazingly helpful and super nice!DSC05690

Question:

The other day my friend asked me if I looked like this when I did my missionary work? Answer:                            Only if it is on a Sunday.

DSC05695

Answer continued:

Whatever I happen to be wearing, I wear when I am working and sometimes it is even my birdcage pajamas!

 

Just like I used to do, some of the patrons imagine me working at a call center in Utah. The other day a patron wanted to know where I was located. We aren’t really supposed to say, but I did tell him that I was in the eastern time zone. There are approximately 1870 missionaries working under the umbrella of Church and Family History. I think that my trainer told us that about 500 of us are remote missionaries.

When I was sent the eight log-ins and passwords that I would need to complete this assignment, I was wondering how it all fit together. Actually, it all fits together quite well. Sometimes it is a little scary for me. The teacher part of me wants to know the answers before the question gets asked. I keep learning and the support people are keeping me propped up in the meantime…thank heaven for Skype! I feel a little bit like those people you see on TV that are getting information in an earpiece as they are doing a live piece.

At the present time there are 409,000 registered members on new FamilySearch. There is an average of 10,000 users per day with an average stay of 69 minutes. Ultimately, it is the hope that millions of people are able to use the church’s resources to do their family history.

My patriarchal blessing has a section about genealogy. Of course, I never imagined that it would include an experience like this!

6 comments:

Melody said...

I know the Voyles from Tallahassee! Neat!

Stephanie said...

How exciting! That sounds so great!

Higleys said...

What a neat opportunity.

Gail said...

Yay for you! I know you love your call, and it shows in your pictures. You look so happy.

Erika said...

You are so cute!

Unknown said...

I know the VOyles! THey are in my stake up here in Tallahassee!