Friday, May 31, 2013

tricia guest post day 7

This morning we went to the car wash. I know, I know, this doesn't seem worth mentioning. But really, you don't do anything in Argentina without it being an experience. We dropped the car off and walked to a Swedish bakery. Then we took our goodies back and ordered hot chocolate at the car wash cafe (complete with a waiter to serve the table...I'm not kidding).

Once the car was finally through the car wash, we headed downtown to the South America South Area Offices. My dad had some business to take care of with a member of the Area Presidency to prepare for their upcoming mission tour, and my mom needed to sort some things out with her new phone and the iPad she had me smuggle in. It was really just interesting to hang out there and to see the coordination and effort of so many people to keep the church running smoothly.
While we were driving around, my dad got a phone call from one of his missionaries that had been robbed again. They have the cheapest $5 cell phones, but for Argentines, it's actually a pretty nice cell phone. Turns out, the missionary was robbed by a guy holding a door knob (with the hinges attached), which I just found kind of unsettling and weirdly hysterical.

Mom and me outside Recoleta

We had tickets tonight with Elder and Sister Ashton to hear the Buenos Aires Philharmonic Orchestra at the Teatro Colon. They played Franz Schubert's Symphony No. 9 in C major, "The Great" and they had a soloist named Lucas Guinot who played the vibraphone. It was a fantastic privilege to listen to the beautiful music in such a beautiful place.

No comments: