Saturday, May 07, 2011

flying home

I was prepared for my trip home. The first leg of the journey from San Diego to Chicago, a 3 1/2 hour flight, I intended to do my Spanish homework and other preparations for my lesson on Monday.

As I was waiting at the gate for my flight, however, I had the distinct impression that I needed to talk with someone  Hispanic. I looked around and the only Hispanic people that I saw were something like 25 years old and listening to their iPods. The feeling did not go away.

The loading of the plane began and I was among the first groups called and the first in my row to be seated. Eventually, a Hispanic-looking man and a business woman came and were seated next to me. He was in the middle. We all exchanged the typical pleasantries of the situation.American737

The impression continued. The plane took off. The pilot and attendants did their thing. Finally, I took a deep breath, turned to him and said, “Habla espanol?”

Let’s just say that he was surprised by my question. I told him that I was learning Spanish for a mission to Argentina as we continued talking in Spanish. He was from Mexicali, Mexico and traveling to Manchester, England on business for his company, Pilkington. We chatted for about an hour before the conversation lagged. A minute or two later he started a new conversation. When I looked at him surprised, he answered, “it is for the practice.”

I truly feel that he was beside me to help me and encourage me. (Thank you, Guillermo!)  Through him, I felt Heavenly Father’s love and support…a wonderful tender mercy specifically for me. We chatted for three hours in total and by then my brain  felt like it was on fire! 

I did not get my homework done. However, my Spanish tutor was delighted. She even seemed as happy as I was for the experience.

No comments: