Friday, September 15, 2006

scoutmaster's dinner

I received a very nice invitation to the Scoutmaster's Dinner. Nevertheless, I was unenthusiastic about attending. In spite of all my pleadings to the contrary, I agreed to go. Since it was a semi-formal event, I was clueless as to what to wear. Where are Stacy and Clinton when you need them. I have never seen that on any of their shows...maybe it's because I generally only watch Nick and Carmindy. Back to the dinner. I wore a church dress. Shelly Bush and I were the only ones in dresses, so clearly "semi-formal" has a whole new meaning in the scouting genre.It was a very nice dinner and I met Doug's scouting associates. They were wonderfully nice and welcoming.
After dinner the scoutmaster presented gifts and Doug received this really cool flashlight that looks like a pen, but it has super strong light and lasts for 600 hours or something crazy like that. I tried to swipe it immediately thinking that every woman needs one of these in her purse, but Doug put it in his pocket and I decided to try and lobby for it later. I mean, I do think I should get something for all my sacrifice to the scouting world.
The scouters also received a new, made for the occasion patch. Just when I was wondering where I would find room for it on Doug's patch jacket, the scoutmaster said that he had the patches mounted...so, I guess I am safe for a while.

The evening concluded as the scoutmaster told us about a special letter he had received. It turned out that the letter was from Rusty. He explained that the bead ceremony was after the non-scouters left, but he wanted to read the letter while he had good light. He very emotionally read an extremely thoughtful letter that Rusty had written and told Doug that although he could not have the original, he would make him a copy. I will attach it to this blog when Doug returns home with it. Anyway, Rusty made the beads from live oak at Camp Anza particularly for Doug. It was incredible and Doug was surprised to say the very least.
I was glad I was there to share the moment.

No comments: