Wednesday, June 13, 2007

bat...chapter two

Tonight Doug went off to meetings and I went to ward council. When I got home after 10.00 Brianna and her friend Natalie were still awake and all the lights in the house were on so I figured something must be going on. Sure enough...they had cornered a bat under the piano. Now I had a dilemma. I didn't know what to do, but I knew that I didn't want the bat there!


I called my local "Batbusters", the Ingalls. Roxanne and her able assistant Mo were at my door in minutes. Thanks to the fact that they finally moved! Roxanne figured out how to get the bat out. And what a surprise! It was an itty bitty baby bat!!! It was about the size of a 50 cent piece.What do we do with an itty bitty baby bat? After quite the deliberation we called for online bat support via Melanie. Melanie walked us through the steps of getting a shoebox, mashing a banana, filling a plasic lid with water, microwaving a dry dishcloth and putting the whole thing as close the the mother bat as possible.


You might remember from the blog yesterday...we decided to stick it all in the fireplace. On the off chance that the mother bat did appear for the rescue mission, we then sealed the fireplace with plastic wrap to keep mom and baby somewhere out of the house.









Let me just pause here to say that I thought the chances of the mother bat rescuing this baby were remote at best! And the baby seemed very near it's last breath in any scenario. We turned out the lights, wished the bat good luck and went to bed.
However!!!! Roxanne returned today, performed a thorough search and declared the bat officially rescued.
What a good mother bat!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I think it is important to note that bats eat 3000 mosquitos a night. You want to keep those around! Glad I could be of service.... and can you make sure those bats are OUT of the house when I come........please. :)