Sunday, June 17, 2007

father's day

It's father's day, and I want to write a little bit about my father.

My favorite memories growing up are sitting around the dinner table. My dad always told stories about what he did at work that day. My dad was an attorney and there were an incredible number of crazy people and crazy stories and my dad had new ones for us all the time. I couldn't wait for him to launch into a story of which he was always the star and saved the day. I loved the twinkle in his eye, and we hung on his every word. I thought all dads told stories at dinner. When I was much, much older I felt special and lucky because I had a dad who did.

When I was a teenager, my dad had a huge lawsuit about a kid who got hit by a train. I worked all summer typing for him hour after hour. I saw how hard my dad worked that summer and every summer as I always worked at his office. I regret that I never saw him in court. It never occured to me to ask to go. But I believe he was formidable.

I am sad that he was on the wrong side at the end of his life. I hope that he has gotten himself sorted out.

No comments: