Saturday, September 15, 2007

things that go bump in the night

Living in a big house in the little woods has its upsides and downsides. One of the main downsides, of course, is the wildlife that occasionally comes in the house for what they deem a more hospitable living environment. Little do they know how truly unwelcome they are and what the consequences will be, with the exception of the baby bat that got returned to its mom. We have spurned cohabitation with rats, mice, lizards, spiders, cockroaches and possums.

Recently, I told my husband that I thought something was living in the food storage underneath the bed. He closed the room up and took the food storage out and checked out the entire area and found nothing. Hmmmmm.

A few nights later, or actually it was early morning...I hear IT again. Doug is downstairs and I yelled to him to come up since I was afraid to even leave my bed. What if I stepped on IT?

There is only about a five foot U-shaped pathway around the bed. He came in and closed the bedroom door. It was still completely dark. Then he closed the closet door and both bathroom doors all of which open into the bedroom. He sits on the bed.

rustle, rustle

rustle, rustle, rustle

Then it is very quiet for a bit. And then there was the biggest loudest thump, breathing, moving sound that you could possible imagine. Doug looks at me and says, "You have got to be kidding me!"

I am near tears. "I am so afraid," I say.

He puts me into the bathroom and then follows. Then he turns on the bathroom light hoping that it will shed at least a little light into the bedroom. He is stretching and looking, mostly keeping himself in the bathroom behind the door. Stretching and looking again.

And then he sees IT.

"Shooter, what are you doing in here?"

Doug ultimately finds that the back door is wide open, and we figure it probably has been most of the night. I just hope that the other "IT" left when the big dog came in.

We only have one question...how was it possible that Doug could come in and walk all around the bedroom and close all those doors and not run into the dog? Very weird.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I STILL can't figure out how that is even possible. Shooter is NOT a little dog.

Melody said...

Thanks for the laugh. Too funny!

Cherylyn said...

I agree with Tricia...but it is also classic dad!