Wednesday, October 24, 2007

wildfires


After spending virtually all of any time that I had glued to the phone with my computer tuned to California radio stations and San Diego wildfire maps, I am grateful that my family is safe. My sister reported that although 90% of her stake was in the wildfire area, not one family lost their home. Apparently late yesterday the National Guard threatened to arrest anyone found in the mandatory evacuation area that my sister lives in. She and her family have been in Las Vegas since Monday. Then helicopters came and dumped massive quantities of water that eventually made it possible for the residents in quadrant 1148 to return to their homes today.
My mom and brother were a little farther from the fire (about 10 miles), although they too received the reverse 911 call for a voluntary evacuation. It is hard being clear across the country when you really just want to help somehow. I am thankful for my daughters and their spouses, who played a part to keep me abreast of developments since I have been working this week. I am grateful for their attentiveness to the situation and diligence in keeping me aware of developments through their technological savvy as well.
Tonight, at least for my family, all is well. And I will keep praying for the other Californians.

2 comments:

Wise Family said...

What a blessing! I will pray for your family and the others as well.

Ashlea said...

What GOOD news...they will all be in our prayers too.