Wednesday, October 15, 2008

october in the garden

I decided to try some vegetables this winter. The rose garden lost its sun because of some nearby overgrown trees. I recently pulled out all the roses but one...which meant I had an area with water. Doug cut back  the overgrown trees and with some serious limb dragging to the woodpile by yours truly on Saturday, I have hope for a little harvest.

DSC02770

Yesterday on the left, today, below. Amazing the difference one day can make! Grow green beans grDSC02801ow!

 

 

 

I checked the packages today because I was worried about the nearby peas that have yet to surface. It said 7-10 days for germination on all of them, so I guess these guys are just eager to be up. I only planted 4 days ago! I also planted lettuces and cucumbers.DSC02803  Tomatoes coming.

 DSC02772

And  now for some purples!

DSC02773 bromeliad

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC02784

DSC02774

DSC02779

I bought this hidden lily in the half off section at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. They are supposed to have already finished blooming and will die back for the winter, but then it sent up not one, but two, beautiful blooms. I feel very lucky for that unexpected bonus.

 

 

DSC02776

 

The bay leaves had been very slow in coming. (I've had this plant for two years). It finally looks like I will have plenty for soups and stews when the weather cools down.

 

 

 

 

 

DSC02783

The Mexican sage is still extraordinary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC02786The gilt edge toad lily is such a pretty little thing. I just wish it was bigger. I do love how it self sows!

DSC02780(1)DSC02782 

 

No birds for my berries yet. I have plenty of gorgeous berries and I even have plenty of birds. I guess I just don't have berry eating birds!

 

 

 

 

 

DSC02781 In honor of Halloween, here are the only two oranges I could find. The lantana below grows wild all over the property.

DSC02790And here are my real oranges. But they won't be ready for another couple of months.

   DSC02799 DSC02792

Even the weeds are photogenic today!

3 comments:

Melody said...

I agree, it was all beautiful.

Mary said...

Just beautiful. I bet you love to go out back and just sit there and look at all the beautiful colors around you. I'm envious.

Gramma Seguine said...

You have such an artistic eye for the beauty in your garden. Thank you for sharing.