Thursday, April 14, 2011

practicing spanish

I need to do a blog soon about my Spanish tutor from the SMTC (Senior Missionary Training Center). She has been my task master since January checking up on me three times a week. Today during our lesson she apologized because a volunteer was supposed to join our conversation so that I could “meet” and “teach” someone new, but it didn’t work out. I told my teacher not to worry because many mornings during seminary I meet with my friend from our ward who is from Puerto Rico.DSC00331

Although we don’t normally do so, this morning I practiced my homework tasks. Most days we just chat about this and that and when I start to lose the drift of the conversation she throws out a few words in English and we carry on. I am so grateful for Frances, her time and her help to me.

My Spanish teacher was genuinely pleased that I have this opportunity that I had not previously told her about. She said something alluding to the fact that I had already completed my hour of homework early in the day. Really? I was shocked. An hour of homework? I was pretty surprised, which I guess I didn’t hide very well, although I did not say, you mean the first hour of the three or four that I have to put in everyday to be ready for you?

I have dropped almost everything from my life to accommodate my Spanish lessons and my move. These past few months have been incredible, incredible meaning different, but in a good way.

At the end of my lesson today, my teacher spent quite a few minutes telling me how encouraged she is with my progress and saying other nice things that made me feel great. She then gave the closing prayer. She prays very  specifically and I love it because she asks Heavenly Father for special blessings for me and I feel them powerfully in my life.

Can I just say how grateful I am for a  teacher that is teaching me how to be a missionary and a friend that is teaching me how to talk about our families and that activities of our days. It’s the best!

No comments: