Monday, December 24, 2012

p day navideno


We woke up really early this morning with a special and very unique Christmas Eve day ahead of us.  It started at the Buenos Aires, Argentina Temple.  The temple was opened just for the 200 missionaries in the mission.  Spencer and I were fortunate enough to attend with the first session (out of three).  That was a once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget.










 Seriously, has my mother ever been more beautiful and happy?
She amazed me at every turn with her optimism and skills with the Spanish language.  
She loves missionary work and taking care of these missionaries!






















 After we were done at the temple, we took the bus back to the mission offices/ chapel for lunch and a special Christmas Program.  For my mom and I, it was our first experience on a South American bus!


 When we got back to the chapel, the missionaries who were waiting for the other sessions at the temple to finish could make stained glass Christmas tree cards.  Elliot provided the festive music.





These card makers were awesome.  It was about 100 degrees everywhere in the church, but it was an oven in this room!

 And everyone had lunch.
 My moms birthday song was sung (this was one of four groups).
 And then it was time for the program to start.
It was absolutely wonderful.
There were five highlights for me...

The first was right at the beginning.  All of the missionaries sang the mission song.  I didn't know about the mission song and it was so powerful.  I had a moment.
The second was when Truman played Joy To The World.  He played beautifully.  The reaction that came after it by the 200 missionaries is a moment we will never forget.  They clapped and cheered and it went on and on. It was incredible.



The third was during the November monthly video that was shown during the program. (watch on youtube through the link...)

During the video, at about 2 min and 20 seconds, Elder Hales talks about the way we follow Christ and take His name upon us is through the waters of baptism.  Elliot looked up at me at this point during the video and said with so much excitement in his eyes, "Mom, that is going to be me on my next birthday in October!"

Highlights number 4 and 5 for me were two other musical numbers.  Breath of Heaven performed by Hermana Cahoon and Carol of the Bells by the Mission Choir.  Amazing.

When the program was over, everyone exited with reverence.  And it was so sweet to see all the hugging and loving everyone gave each other.  The missionaries never know exactly when their paths with each other will cross again.  They know how to make the moment count.








I can't think of a Christmas Eve I have ever enjoyed more than this one.  We went home with our hearts full of gratitude for our Savior Jesus Christ.  We were also all exhausted and everyone was asleep by 6:30pm.

No comments: