Sunday, April 09, 2006

bottoms up!

Last night dad, B and I were down at the dock taking the jet ski for a little run to keep the battery charged. It was past sunset, but not yet dark. Our next door neighbors were out feeding the ducks that live on the other side of our pond--aka Lake Louise. Of course, were were looking to see if Penelope, our duck that we abandoned at the neighbors, had survived the winter. I have always worried that he was mad at us for giving him such a ridiculous name. Nevertheless, within a few minutes the ducks tired of the handout and decided they preferred their own pond meal and swam over to our "dock" (notice the quotes as a good imagination is necessary.) They entertained us for quite a while with their diving antics and paddling orange feet. It was good to know that Penelope still feels welcome to drop by for a dabble.

P.S. Dabbling ducks tip themselves face first into the water, (so you see their bottoms pointing into the air), and filter water through their beaks to harvest food from beneath the surface. This is called "dabbling." You were wondering, weren't you!

2 comments:

Cherylyn said...

Oh Phew! I thought Penelope was dead! I am so glad she was only dabbling for food. I am glad I learned something new today!

Melanie said...

I'm glad Penelope is doing well!
LOL Chezzie...that was a funny comment.