Monday, April 24, 2006

happy anniversary


We thought it was very cool that we could have our picture on our wedding invitation. That was very innovative in 1976. I wore the Peru necklance to dinner tonight that I have on in this picture. It has always been my favorite piece of jewelry because Doug bought it for me before he returned from his mission, before he knew if things were going to work out with us like he hoped. Of course his mother confiscated it when he showed it to her, and I didn't actually get it until Christmas...AFTER we were officially engaged, but it didn't change the sentiment for me.

I recently looked at the list of wedding gifts we received. I am surprised at how many of them we are still using. I think the award for the most often used gift has to go to my grandmother, who gave me Joy of Cooking and a silver pitcher. I think she expected me to love the pitcher and the book was just an afterthought...funny that.

We went down to St. George the night before the wedding. We ate at a wonderful little restaurant called "The Gable House." We were there with all of our friends and they gave us the whole room downstairs. We all sat at a long banquet table. We stayed for hours, talking and laughing.

We had prayed for weeks that our future children would somehow be able to be a part of our wedding...and we have always felt that they were there. It was a spiritual gift.

This is no Cinderella story. I think that marriage is work every single day. I am grateful that I married someone who wants to work it out with me. I love my husband with all my heart and I feel loved.

Happy 30th Anniversary

3 comments:

Cherylyn said...

So sweet. Love dad's hair. Did you ever throw out the orange sheets with the leaf pattern? Those were STYLIN'!

Linda Carter said...

Happy Anniversary Doug & Deb...and yes, we are loving doug's hair...wishing you another wonderful 30...You guys have a dog????

Melanie said...

happy anniversary! i love how dad has always adored you.