Tuesday, April 04, 2006

daylight SHIFTING time

The problems with daylight saving time: A) it does not save any daylight B) although it is claimed by some that you ONLY lose one hour of sleep, in fact, you lose much more, ie., you lose one hour the first night, you lose another hour the second night because your body clock does not know that it is actually time to go to bed you lose another hour of sleep the third night for the same reason and depending on how exhausted you are this continues for 3-10 days C) the world is tired and cranky from coping with B above.

There are some interesting things about daylight saving time like the fact that there is less crime and less use of energy. President Bush has signed a law that daylight saving time will start in mid-March next year, and somebody will do some studies to see about the benefits of an extra couple of weeks of daylight saving time. Personally, I am all for standard time and wish they would add an extra hour to my day about once a month...President Bush, I think that is something all of us could get into.

I am quite sure that Tricia will agree with the following comment from Robertson Davies which I found quite humourous.

"I don't really care how time is reckoned so long as there is some agreement about it, but I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves."

1 comment:

Cherylyn said...

amen to that. Even Clark hasn't liked it.