Monday, March 05, 2007

multiplication rhymes

In our class, we work on the computer to learn the addition and subtraction math facts. We have a program called Math Facts in a Flash. The students have to do 40 math problems in two minutes. They progress through a series of 19 units.

This year, for the first time, I have three students who completed the 19 units within a few weeks. I figured there was no harm in letting them go on to the multiplication facts and figured they would come to a quick halt. I truly underestimated the lure of the challenge for these three.

They are now working on their 7's, 8's and 9's. Today after watching the end of a test, I called Max over and said...let me give you a little help. On a piece of paper I wrote:

seven times seven, laying on a line, seven times seven is 49
eight times eight, shut the door, eight times eight is 64
56=7x8 (get it? 5,6,7,8)

He took it off quite happily, and the next time he took the test he passed.

Quite suddenly his math rival appeared at my desk and in the most demanding voice in which he dared to address me he said,

"Why didn't I get the rhymes?"

It just tickled me that these 2nd grade boys who think they are so smart and so tough are begging me for rhymes...love it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute story. Love the rhymes, wish I had them when I was learning my times tables!

Melanie said...

I've been teaching Mike the rhymes. He loves them too.