Thursday, January 10, 2008

back at school

I worked all this week. The kids have such a hard time getting back to work after all the fun during Christmas break. To add to their misery, I unthinkingly scheduled a really hard story for them because I would have 8 days to work with them instead of the normal 5. And, of course, next week is their 9 weeks exams. They are going to be really very happy to see Mrs. Cubbage.

Wednesday, I was wearing black cropped pants and a short sleeved shirt. As I went out the door, I decided that I better grab a sweater, which was black, just in case the classroom was cold...which it was. When Devin came walking into class he asked, "Mrs. Carter, why are you wearing a tuxedo?".

My happy news...the kids took their mid-term STAR reading test. The mean growth for my class was 8 months. That was thrilling!

But I was especially pleased for Hunter. He started second grade reading at 1.2 (first grade, second month). His mom told me that he hadn't read the entire summer. What kind of parents don't read with a first grader ALL SUMMER! for goodness sakes. Then she went on to explain that he and his sister had spent most of the summer with their grandparents.

Actually, if my grandkids were spending the summer with me, we might just play all day everyday too!!!! So, of course, I had to forgive them for that.

Hunter's mom has been particularly diligent since school started. He takes home an extra book every night and returns it read the next day. I called her Friday afternoon. We cried tears of joy together. He tested in at 2.3.

When I got off the phone another teacher having overheard the conversation called from her classroom to tell me that she was crying too!

So although it has been a long and hard week...it has also been very rewarding!

No comments: