Tuesday, January 20, 2009

watching tv in the middle of the day

When Doug came home around lunchtime today, he ended up in front of the tv. After a while he called to me and told me that I really ought to come and watch it with him. He likes to watch political commentary. I do not. So I told him that I do not have time to watch tv in the middle of the day and carried on with my tasks. Not too long after that, I was swooping through the room, on a task errand, of course. Suddenly, I noticed the ticker at the bottom of the screen said Inauguration 2009. Oh my goodness! Is that on already, I thought?  I sat down next to my husband. And a few minutes later, I apologized. And a few minutes after that, I thanked him.

Together, we watched tv in the middle of the day.26565055 26565107 

These are my favorite words from President Obama's speech.  26564647

"...those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task."

I don't know if he will be true to his words. I don't know if our country will accept the inherent challenge.26564542 I do know that I am happy to hear words like these from our President. 26565277

Like many other Americans, I will be praying for him and wishing him well as he leads our country. And I will also try to do my part.

2 comments:

debbie said...

That quote caught my ear also.

alexis said...

that was a great post. we all do need to realize that we do need to do our part. and that we have responsibilities.