Thursday, January 07, 2010

missionary memoirs

OpenBookWe,  new FamilySearch missionaries,  have recently been counseled to write down some of our favorite missionary experiences.

 

Sister Jones is a family history consultant in Connecticut. I was working with her on the phone from 10-11pm. It is not unusual for me to work on the phones that late, but it is very unusual for the caller to be on the east coast. She had her patrons with her and as fast as I could give her information, she absorbed it and implemented it. I was so thrilled to be able help with this multi-faceted problem. I felt very blessed as the Spirit guided me in the way I should help. Here is part of the note I sent her the next day:

Dear Sister Jones,
I am the missionary that worked with you on the phone last night.  I was called in June and knew nothing about nFS so it has been an intense learning experience for me. I felt like everything I have learned came together last night…

Have a great day!
Sister Debbie Carter

And her beautiful response:

Wow Sister Carter you've only been on the job since June?  You are amazing.  I was wondering how I could let you know how much I learned last night and how much I appreciated your help. 
I love this work and have been using nFS almost since inception.  When I first used it, I could see the potential and was so excited.  I tried to explain to people the vision I could see.  I truly believe this program puts us on the precipice of the millennium.  Our obligation through covenants we've made, is to clean-up the existing files (correct information, confirm ordinances performed, combine duplicates, etc.) so they are ready to be presented in the Holy Temples.  This will allow our next generation to continue on without wasted time, energy, money, efforts, etc.  Doing duplicate work will become a thing of the past.  Accurate information will be easier to obtain and confirm.  Collaborative efforts will bring accurate and complete files. With each generation of this program I see the Lord's hand.  Oh I just love the work.

I truly believe I have the best calling within the Church.  I not only receive blessing for performing my calling, but I am so privileged to be able to see and receive blessings while working with others.  I could go on forever about the many blessings, miracles, and experiences I have witnessed and been part of while fulfilling my calling…

Thank you again for the wonderful lesson last night,

Kathleen Jones

1 comment:

Christy said...

How wonderful, I happen to know Sister Jones, and she does love the work. I have known her since I joined the church as a youth. What a thrill to read about your experience!