Saturday, January 09, 2010

sleet

Sleet, to meteorologists in the United States, consists of frozen raindrops that hit the surface as little ice pellets. Sleet is different from hail, in that sleet is seen exclusively in the winter months. It is a product of a winter storm system.DSC06391DSC06389

It’s rare that you get a forecast with a possibility of snow in central Florida. I feel badly for all the tourists who came here this week hoping for nice winter weather.

I talked to Brianna on the phone while she was spending the night at Natalie’s house.

What are you doing tonight?

Watching for snow.

I woke up this morning and saw some white stuff when I looked at the detached garage roof. Had to quick grab my camera. But when I went outside to photograph it, I knew straightaway that it was not snow. Snow is quiet. This white stuff was noisy.

This white stuff was sleet. And the little ice pellets on the sheets protecting my herb garden? They never melted all day long.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

No comments: