Thursday, February 11, 2010

missionary memoirs

OpenBook[3]

I received a phone call from a woman that identified herself as a service missionary. She said that she would like to learn how to use new FamilySearch.

 

When I asked her if she had an account, she told me that she didn’t. So, of course, the first step, was to get her one of those.

A lot of times people know their baptism date, but not their confirmation date, so I usually pull up a calendar and scout the date of the Sunday following their birthday, or the first Sunday following their baptism, which generally works. Her family had not been totally active in the church when she was growing up so, although she had been baptized as a child, the dates were not quite predictable. In the end though, we were able to sleuth out the right date.

She was so thrilled to see her ancestors and told me of plans she has for her grandchildren when they come to visit this summer. Eventually, I asked her about her mission. Her response was quite unexpected.

“I am embarrassed to tell you.”

I gave a little laugh and said okay, now, Really Wondering about her mission.

But then she decided to confess that she is a temple matron. All of a sudden, I understood her comment. It is so impressive to me that people will go completely out of their comfort zone and learn new things with enthusiasm and joy to better serve the Lord.

I am sure her grandkids are going to love  their experience at

mormon_temple

“Temple Camp”.

1 comment:

debbie said...

We all have to start somewhere. There's no shame in that. Good for her.