Monday, February 22, 2010

my beautiful daughter/friend

13Today my friend, Linda, and I went to celebrate her birthday by taking a tennis lesson together. As we were preparing to start, a woman from the local tennis shop ran up to me, calling me by name. I didn’t recognize her out of context, but she reminded me of her store. Then she asked, “Is this your daughter?”

(I am just vain enough to believe that she really doesn’t think I am 70-something years old.) No, I answered, this is my beautiful friend. And what could be a better birthday celebration than to have a complete stranger think that you are 30-something? My friend, with four children and almost 6 grandchildren,  is beautiful inside and out.

When Doug was first called as the Stake President and Brianna was 6, Linda always made sure that Brianna was taken care of during stake conference weekends. Those are stressful times for a stake presidents family, and I will always be grateful for her thoughtfulness. That was the first that I remember, but over the years I have seen and been the recipient of numerous other acts of service, which she is so wonderful addressing. Then, a year and a half ago, she got me playing tennis, which has turned out to not only benefit my health, but my husband’s and a couple of my daughters’ as well. Doug and I really enjoy playing doubles with her and her partner. Over the past year, I have often told her that I am taking “nice” lessons from her. Doug and Rick get upset when they are her partner when she wants to throw a point because she is worried that the other team is getting too far behind. Although I don’t recommend that strategy on the tennis court nowadays,  I am grateful to realize that she did it in the early days to encourage me. That kind of attitude permeates her life as she is always in the service of others. Best of all, is her abiding testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am blessed with four beautiful daughters, and as a bonus,

a beautiful daughter/friend.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I saw the post title and I thought it was about me! He he he! Linda is pretty great too though. :)

Melody said...

Linda and you are equally amazing and I know that I am blessed to have you both in my life.

When are you going to teach me how to play tennis? ;)

debbie said...

She IS one of the nicest people I know.