Thursday, March 11, 2010

glacier in the fridg

Ice_Cave_Glacier_Alaska

While cleaning the refrigerator today,  I unexpectedly found a glacier forming behind the vegetable drawer. It was quite serious looking and had completely encompassed some tubing nearby.

I mentioned it to Doug before he left for a meeting, and Mary Gronlund also got a look at it after dinner. She recommended a blow dryer. Quite a bit later, I returned home and found Doug with Two Blow Dryers, one in each hand making quick work of the ice flow. I showed up just in time to help keep the water mopped up to minimize the chances of electrocution.

After a couple of minutes, Doug stopped and closed the door. Since the task wasn’t completed, I asked him what he was doing. “The milk needs to stay cold,” he replied.  Doug is obsessive about keeping the milk cold. We can’t even purchase it in the grocery store until one of us in line at the checkout. Then it is a mad dash home. I mentioned to him that the fridg still said that it was 35 degrees, to no avail. Then I suggested that he put the milk in the freezer while completing the task. Having thus mollified his anxiety, he was back on task.

We can only assume that during our freezing temperatures this winter, the water in the tube that removes the condensation from the refrigerator froze, thus allowing it to continue to overspill and freeze inside the compartment. Good thing I decided to actually remove the drawer in my zeal!

It all appears to be functioning properly again…and the milk, having stayed cold, is now returned to its normal habitat.

2 comments:

Melody said...

I have a perfect picture of him with those two hairdryers! Priceless!

Thank you for the laugh.

Blue Heron Bobcat said...

That's a "cool" photo (no pun intended). Did you take that?