Friday, March 12, 2010

handmade

Tricia told me that her friend Shanda had left a magazine for me. DSC06728

I was surprised to find that it was a Vogue knitting magazine. I think the last time that I knitted, was a sweater for the infant Courtney, which would have been about 8 years ago. However, I had seen a sweater that Shanda-the-knitter had made. It was great, and she had kindly left the magazine that included the pattern for me.

DSC06731Tricia and I then took an outing to someplace she had never been…a knitting store. I felt it was quite lucky for me, although very sad for the proprietor, that the store was closing. The prices for their wares were fabulous. I bought some “sublime organic cotton” figuring that it was my only hope of actually being able to wear the sweater, when and if I ever did finish it.

DSC06730 pattern 

That was quite a long time ago…maybe last spring? 

DSC06722Cherylyn helped me pick out some fabric for a complementary skirt during another adventure to a fabric store. I decided that I would try and make it without a pattern, since I only wanted a pencil skirt. That whole experience gave me a creative thrill. I loved figuring it all out.

Well, I  finished the sweater today. I decided that it was clearly outside the field of my experience level to take on this task. Brianna encouraged me during the “finishing” which I found particularly arduous. It’s great to have a cheerleader in the house.DSC06720

Now I am looking forward to wearing it!DSC06734

8 comments:

Alexis said...

i am so impressed! great job. it looks really cute!

Tricia said...

It turned out even better than I imagined. I love it!

Melanie said...

wow mom, that is amazing. so ADORABLE!!!!!!!!

Shanda McKeehan said...

Wow! I'm impressed, it turned out so beautiful! Nice work, I'm proud of you for keeping with it for so long and finishing it.

Melody said...

You looked amazing in it today and I had NO idea that you had made it. Now I'm really sorry that I didn't get the chance to tell you in person how much I liked it. Well, I do...

You are quite impressive! How long do I have to know you before you stop surprising me? ;)

papasmallows said...

I have an amazing wife. She looked great in it yesterday. Way to go babe.

Rhea said...

it looks great!!!So cute!

Kirstie said...

It was SOOOO CUTE!!! U looked great in it!!!