Saturday, May 01, 2010

the soul’s sincere desire

 DSC07436

Mom remembers that she just loved it when her Aunt Olive came to town. It was a thirty mile trip from Salt Lake and Aunt Olive would send a penny postcard and say that she was coming after church on Sunday or whenever, but normally, it was on a Sunday. She often brought two pieces of rock candy, one for my mom and one for her brother.

I met my Great Aunt Olive and my Great Uncle Poppy a few times growing up. They were not big people. I know this because I felt huge compared to them! However, they were giants when it came to the Spirit and they were giants when it came to smiles and they were giants when it came to love, which made their visits highly anticipated events.

Aunt Olive had sent a postcard that they were coming, but then a few days later, another postcard was received that said that they weren’t coming. Apparently, my mom didn’t know about the second postcard and after church she was questioning her mother about when they would arrive.

800px-YellowPrairieFlowerUpon being told that they weren’t coming, she was devastated.  She went out to the lucerne fields and tramped down the alfalfa  in a small circle. Then she knelt to pray. Mom remembers flowers  wafting overhead as she poured out her heart.

Then she went back into the house, sat down and waited for Aunt Olive and Uncle Poppy to come. Come they did. Aunt Olive and Uncle Poppy showed up a little while later and when questioned about their trip, Aunt Olive simply answered that they weren’t going to come, but then had been prompted that they should come.

Many years later, when my mom received her patriarchal blessing she was specifically given the gift that she could call down the blessings of heaven upon her loved ones. There have been many times in my life that I have felt the special power of her gift.  

I don’t know if they still have lucerne fields in Lehi, Utah; but I am pretty sure that they don’t have them in San Diego. We did stop on our way home from dinner to have a  look out over the flower fields that are blooming with joyous abandon just now.

DSC07438

I feel overwhelmed not only by the beauty of the flowers, but by the blessing of having a righteous mother who has stayed true to the gospel and been a wonderful example all her life.

Joseph Smith received an answer to his prayer in a sacred grove. My mother remembers her first heartfelt prayer answered in the field. I prayed from my bed this morning and will again this evening. Generally, throughout the day I often feel a need just to check-in with my Father in Heaven.

I am thankful for a mother who taught me to pray.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

That was so neat to hear. Thanks for the story!