Friday, September 05, 2008

a time to mourn

My dear friend's husband died unexpectedly this week. I am sad, very sad. Ron Teeples was an academic scholar, but he was also a gospel scholar. I enjoyed him in the latter role. Gospel discussions were sure to include history lessons as well. For anyone lucky enough to sit in a class where he sat, he would almost certainly be called upon to share his expertise for our benefit. Although he often seemed almost shy about it.

I was only marginally aware of his academic pursuits and his love of jazz music. But I do know that he chose a wonderful woman to stand by his side in time and eternity. Time is fragile, something well worth remembering. Eternity is a blessing.

How grateful I am for the plan of salvation and for the gospel of Jesus Christ. There is sweet peace knowing that they will eventually be together forever. I am grateful that

"that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory"                Doctrine and Covenants 130:2

Still I mourn, but gratefully not without a brightness hope.

No comments: