Monday, February 09, 2009

my office

When our home was built in 1883 the porches wrapped all four sides of the house. In the 1950's however, the owner added an extra four feet to the width of the back porch and enclosed it to make a room. When we bought the house, we stripped out the dated wallpaper and changed the slatted windows to picture windows.

002[1]

This is one of the first pictures of our renovation.

I have always appreciated the tremendous amount of work that Melanie did, painting every surface in the house (that I did not wallpaper) including the ceilings.

004[1]

After nine years, this room needed a new coat. I have two short sentences to sum up my own feelings about painting this room.

It's done.

Not fun.

(The new paint is called Butter Up. It is a little lighter and a little brighter, but basically, very similar.)

After we moved into the house, it took me many months, scraping inches at a time, to remove the cork from the floor ultimately revealing the heart pine.001[1]

Then the floor sanders came in  and buffed it to maximize the beauty of the wood.

Sometimes when people come to my house, they ask me where I like to hang out. This is the place.

DSC01763

 

However, I have noticed that Doug, Brianna, and even my grandkids like  my special place too.

 

 

DSC04133

Doug calls it my office.

In that case... office hours are typically from 8:OO-8:30am and 8:00-11:00pm.

At which time I turn into a zombie and stagger off to another favorite place--my bed.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Love the picture of Mel! Your "office" is so warm and inviting. I can see why it's a favorite place!

Jordan Mathews said...

I love you house and all of it wallpaper plus painted walls! And I have an office just like that!

Melanie said...

Nothing like painting after a waterski run...so i can look as nastified as possible. :) good times moo...and the room looks great.