Tuesday, April 06, 2010

bears, oh my

The other evening the kids were riding their scooters up and down the driveway. I was sitting on the porch enjoying the orange blossom scented air and the happy sounds all around me. Doug and Tricia were chatting on the circle. After a bit, Dan came out of the house and as he was walking toward Tricia and Doug, he started waving his arms and yelling at the kids to get into the house. At the second what seemed to be ridiculously urgent request, I looked up in time to see the haunches of a black bear as it crossed our driveway.

So…most of us skedaddled inside. Since animal control was closed, I called the non-emergency line for the police. They told me not to worry unless it made a nuisance of itself. Thanks for that advice!

Looking at my next resource, the internet, I found that Dan instinctively did exactly the right thing when he saw that bear according to the University of Florida.

If you encounter a bear:

  • Remain calm and do not run.

  • Do not approach the bear and give it plenty of space to retreat.

  • Make your presence known by making noise, then back away slowly.

  • Bring children and pets inside the house.

  • Let the bear know it is not welcome in your yard; make yourself appear large by raising your arms and standing tall. Yell or bang pots and pans to scare the bear away.

bear

I handed Doug my camera and he went on an unsuccessful photo hunt. I suppose this Florida black bear is a relative though.

4 comments:

debbie said...

oh my is an understatement. Um, he was being a nuisance. He was in your line of vision. My first phone call would have been to Steve Sizemore. He would wrastle it to the ground. he took care of the beehive in my tree. Dan seems to have handled things though. Go Dan!

Melanie said...

I just about died thinking that was the actual bear in your yard...still though, that's a new one for the Birdhouse!

Blue Heron Bobcat said...

Wow, a bear on your property. I would love to see one. Too bad Doug didn't get the picture, but maybe it's good he didn't find the bear. The bear may not have been in the mood to pose.

JenniferCarter said...

Very crazy to have a bear in your yard!! I hope you had fun watching him for the safety of your home. It reminds me of Kyle and Doug trying to find the bears on our hike to Exit Glacier in Seward, AK.