Wednesday, September 01, 2010

splat calculator

I was wondering how fast I was actually moving when I hit the floor. It seems shocking that a fall off a bed could hurt me like this, but it is true. So  I laughed when I found this climbing website called the Splat Calculator.

This calculator simply calculates the ideal speed you're travelling at the end of falling a certain distance. It completely ignores things like friction (air, rock, rope, or otherwise).


If you fill in the height, you'll get the time and speed at the end of your fall. If you're kind enough to supply your mass, you'll also get the energy in joules (newton-meters) when you deck. :-

If I did it correctly, I figured that I was moving about 8 miles an hour and the fall took .4 of a second.

Enough of that...

I didn't get my MRI today. I was feeling quite nervous about it and the lady helping me was as kind as possible, but I am quite claustrophobic. Anyway, she had me all ready to go and said she would do a trial in and out and not to worry because she wasn't starting anything. So in I go,

and she had mis-centered me on the bed, and my shoulder, my poor sad broken shoulder, now encased in some kind of MRI paraphernalia bumps the side of the tube sending shooting pains across my chest and down my arm.

She re-centered me after I cried out in pain and did the trial run thing again, but I just couldn't manage it. I went back to my doctor's office and they said it happens all the time. Then they told me that they would re-schedule me for an open MRI, so I will hope for a better time there.

3 comments:

Melody said...

Debbie, you have certainly had more than your fair share of hard times with this shoulder. I think it is time for some great things to happen. I'm ready to hear all about them... ;)

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I am so sorry to read of your fall!
Well we might end up in your stake afterall but I'll let you know once we get an address:)

debbie said...

I winced in pain as I read this, not as bad as your pain though. Bless your heart