Monday, May 15, 2006

bush addresses nation about immigration

Growing up in southern California, immigration has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I asked my dad why we couldn't just let everyone who wanted to come to the United States come in. I still feel that way--except for the scary people who want to hurt us, of course.

A third of my class are children that were born outside the US. One of my students, Jackie, tells me how lucky her family is to live here. She goes to bed at 5.00 pm and wakes up at 3.00 am. She is a straight A student. I don't know what her parents do for a living that necessitates those kind of hours, but I do know that they are doing something right.

I wish that all the people who want to come to the US felt that they could change and improve their own governments. For all the ills in America, we have so much to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Cherylyn said...

good point moo.