Wednesday, January 31, 2007

gps vs cps

I am fascinated with the idea of GPS. The Global Positioning System (GPS), is currently the only fully-functional satellite navigation system. More than two dozen GPS satellites are in medium Earth orbit, transmitting signals allowing GPS receivers to determine the receiver's location, speed and direction.

Since the first experimental satellite was launched in 1978, GPS has become an indispensable aid to navigation around the world. For someone like me who gets lost easily this is a dream come true. Unfortunately, I do not have GPS...

...so, tonight for the second time this month when I was lost in Orlando, I used my CPS (call Patricia Seguine.)

A GPS receiver calculates its position by measuring the distance between itself and three or more GPS satellites. Measuring the time delay between transmission and reception of each GPS radio signal gives the distance to each satellite, since the signal travels at a known speed. The signals also carry information about the satellites' location. By determining the position of, and distance to, at least three satellites, the receiver can compute its position using trilateration.

CPS calculates my position by hoping that I can come up with the street I am on and a cross street. On a good day, I can actually tell CPS where I am going.

The cost of maintaining GPS is approximately $400 million per year. The cost of maintaining CPS is time and emotion, which I love sharing and spending. The monetary amount is right up my ally...free!

I love my CPS!

Thanks for getting me and my girls to the Temple tonight Tricia! My YW were mad impressed!!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I am a HUGE fan of CPS...she has gotten me through a lot and I am SO grateful!

Cherylyn said...

That is such a cute blog!