Friday, January 12, 2007

snakes

Today completes my first full week of teaching. As of January, my teaching partner and I are working a week on and a week off. I was wondering how it would be and how I would feel at the end of it. I have a wonderful class--we are up to 18 now including 6 girls and 12 boys. The story we read this week was called The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash. I hung a washline and had the kids write stories on shirts that we hung on the line. Some of them had time to make paper spiral snakes to wrap around their stories. For our literature extension time on Friday the kids filled the black racer snakes that I had made the night before with rice, cut forked tongues and glued on googley eyes. It was very fun, albeit an exhausing project for me. It even kind of freaked me out a little bit to look around the classroom on Friday afternoon and see all those snakes!

The week was a little complicated by the fact that I had ward council on Tuesday night, YW at my house on Wednesday night and Presidency meeting at my house on Thursday night. But now I have the next nine days off from teaching and plenty of time to think about how I am ever going to come up with a Friday activity as cool as making snakes. Any suggestions? We are reading a story called Dear Mr. Blueberry, which is about a whale.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

AWESOME SNAKES MOO!!!! Maybe for your next book/ activity, you could have a "Whale of a time" and eat blueberries and ice-cream. That might not go, but it sounded good to me.

Cherylyn said...

I just need to say that every time I hear about something you did with your class, I feel GYPPED that I got pulled out of your second grade class because I was your daughter, and I got Mrs. Day instead. I wish I had you moo! I like Mel's idea a lot, she must be a teacher too!!!!

Linda Carter said...

I was going to say blueberry pancakes, but I like mel's idea also..