Friday, January 05, 2007

roses

We decided to plant roses in our new backyard with our herbs. We debated between one and two in each planter box and eventually decided on one. I have been doing internet research and ended up at the American Rose Society website. They listed a supplier in Apopka, so I called them to see if they actually sold to the public. They told me that they did, but there was a $100 minimum purchase requirement. This was okay for me because 4 roses generally cost about $100.

Doug and I took off on what can only be described as "one of my adventures." Although we got lost for a few minutes traveling the way back and country roads and lanes of Apopka, we finally sighted the sign for the business we were looking for
Dewar Roses.

As we turned down the road, our breath was swept away as we beheld thousands of roses. The fragrance in the air was incredible and every bit as wonderful as you might imagine.

We continued driving around and decided to find the business headquarters for this establishment. I walked in and talked to the woman at the desk who reiterated the purchase requirements and then handed me a pricelist.

The roses were $8.80. We couldn't believe our eyes! We were going to have to buy a lot more roses! In the end, we decided to buy 9 yellow roses--8 for the planter beds and an extra for good measure. The climbers were a little more expensive and we bought two climbers to put on either side of the birdhouse in the center planter box. We figured that should tally up just about $100.

When we went to pay, the lady said, "Oh, I can give you a discount!" The bill came to $89. Confused, I said, that we would go and get another yellow rose. "Oh, no", she said, "don't worry about it." And charged me $89.

What a find!

Doug worked until late completing the ten step lasagne planting method that was recommened to me. At the last minute, just before dark, I remembered to grab my camera.
And this picture is for my girls, who have hundreds of visuals like this in their memory banks. Thanks sweetheart for all your labor!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I love the all wet pavement. It's the best!

The beds look so stunning! And I love the choice of yellow roses.

Jen said...

I love yellow roses too...They look so nice.

Cherylyn said...

I love the yellow roses! And yes we do have hundreds of images like that in our memory banks, and it's great! Ditto to Tricia's comment about the wet pavement...classic dad to spray everything down all nice and clean after it's done.