Saturday, May 24, 2008

flips flops and rainbows

First the garage update. Sadly, I am no longer in New York. It is back to reality and the reality is that the garage still needs work. The heat and humidity are really slowing us down, but we did manage to work for about three hours this morning. Only one trip to the dump. Doug wanted to make two. We have been having a standoff about an iron table and chairs that he was sure nobody wanted and I was sure somebody did. Finally, against all his better judgment, he loaded them into his tractor and took them down near the street. Can I just say that I didn't even have time to make the "free" sign before the chairs were gone. And not many minutes later so was the table. I think whoever it was that wanted it, just couldn't fit it all in one load. So I am feeling good about that tonight.After lunch, five of my Young Women came over to make unity things for camp. Today we were working on flip flops. They turned out adorable!

Afterwards, we fired up the waverunners. It was quite a stormy afternoon and we got rained on three times. It never stopped us for more than a few minutes as we were lucky that there was no lightning accompaniment. Finally, the sun was sinking and the rain was coming again so we had to call it a day. We looked up into the sky and saw an incredibly beautiful double rainbow. Ah, rainbows – those will-o'-the-wisps of ethereal beauty, made possible only by a full lineup of optics phenomena. I didn't have my camera but this guy did. He says:
"This double rainbow came as a complete surprise.
I was waiting for a little bit of evening sunlight to fall on a tree.
Then a heavy shower started and the sun came out at the same time.
The result – a double rainbow – and I got very wet – but it was worth it."

We were already wet. Still, the double rainbow was a complete surprise. I am always going to try and remember to look at the order of the colors on the second rainbow. Because I know they are supposed to be flip flopped! You would think that I would have remembered that today! But I didn't.

2 comments:

Megan said...

thanx! i know a lot of people didn't show up, but i had a lot of fun! and im glad we got a lot of stuff done!

Rae said...

The flip flops are so fun. I love the orange!