Tuesday, May 06, 2008

to you


Dear Ones,

In the olden days and I have to confess, even now, I went/go to the mailbox with a small level of anticipation that there would/will be something really interesting there. If it is not Christmas or my birthday and I haven't ordered anything in particular the chances are slim to none. I am reminded of a not so nice note that Melanie once wrote to all her friends in California who promised to write, but then didn't when we moved to the UK. I couldn't let her send it. I think it was titled "Death Letter." But I did keep it and one of these days I will run into it again and then I will blog it and know where it is forever more. (One of the benefits of blogging.)

After we moved home from England came the advent of email. That was in the good old days when the only emails you got were from the few friends that actually had your email address. Nowadays, my email is used more like voice mail. Hey, I have a quick question when you have a minute. Plus all the trash that somehow manages to get past the super duper filtering systems. The best part of emails these days is the comments that are forwarded there from my blog. (Another benefit.)

But let's talk about blogging. It's like getting a little note from a friend. They tell me what they have been up to. I can post a comment and let them know I enjoyed hearing from them. When I post a blog, the dear readers stop in and often say hello through their comments as well. It is just a feel good time of day. (Numerous benefits implied here.) Sometimes, I want to keep feeling good and check more than once! I appreciate my google reader for doing the tough work for me and then letting me know who has left a message.

I read several blogs of people I don't even know. They don't know I read their blogs because I don't leave comments either. They are my real life soap operas. What will CJane say about the ordeal of childbirth? How does Lawdy come to terms with never being done? Will Meems ever give enough clues about where exactly in central Florida that she lives so that I can drive over and admire her beautiful garden in person? It makes me feel great about the whole brotherhood of man thing or I should say sisterhood of woman thing because I read blogs written by women. And, I hope that someday in one of those random, stranger than fiction ways, I will run into those women and thank them for their insights/entertainment.

And so fellow bloggers and dear readers, today I just want to say thanks to you all. Because of you, every day feels a little bit special.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for reminding me about the death letter! lol I'm SURE we threw it away. :) I agree though that blogging is like getting little notes every day through posts and comments from the friends, fam and strangers. It's the best.

Cherylyn said...

Lol about Mel and the death letter!!! What a cute blog mom, loved it. Speaking of going to the post office, I am requiring you to go to the post office every day starting on Thursday this week until you get my and Mel's Mother's Day present. You must open it when you receive it. You will understand when you see it. :-)

Christy said...

Well said! But I can't picture Melanie writing a letter like that!

Melody said...

I love hearing what you've been up to and to know what is going on in your life.
I feel like the BEST visiting teacher through blogging. Sad, isn't it? However, I must add, that since we actually DO get to see each other in person, that is the best!

SpaceyKasey said...

What a great post...You're so cool.

I know exactly what you mean about checking email with the same anticipation we used to have when we walked to the mailbox. And you put it so eloquently.

We are a society of such instant gratification, yes? But then maybe that isn't always so bad. :)