Wednesday, April 15, 2009

garden bloggers bloom day - april

DSC04703  GBBD started out early this morning with an unwelcome visit from this mama opposum and her four babies along for the ride. I did feel more friendly toward her when I learned that she eats snakes.  Did you know that possums have more teeth than any other land mammal? However, she did bring back memories of when I found three babies in my house! Heaven only knows how they got in. She and her babies enjoyed a tour of the garden, and there are plenty of blooms available today.

Our big freeze is still in evidence causing most plants to be blooming later than normal this year and a very few, like this vine on the garage to bloom earlier.DSC04702

 DSC04700 DSC04650 DSC04657 The rain lilies have been beautiful this spring blooming more or less constantly.

 

DSC04756The toad lilies that I transplanted from the front yard have done very well under the brunfelsia which has finally found a permanent home near the back door so that we can enjoy the wonderful scent as we are to-ing and fro-ing.

DSC04757I was sad that the rose was late in blooming as it is Courtney's favorite and was full of buds when she was visiting last week.

  DSC04749

DSC04748This is the first time that snapdragons have been truly happy in my garden and I purchased these from the discounted rack at Walmart.

 DSC04744 DSC04743 DSC04745  These are for the butterflies.

 

 

 

 DSC04740

DSC04741This new vine is growning up the birdhouse post.

 DSC04750DSC04737

Another new to my garden plant is the yarrow that I have been trying to find for quite some time. I actually found two different varieties this year and have planted both to see how they manage.

The dill has been spectacularly beautiful for months. The water glistens off of it like millions of diamonds.  I wish I could capture a good picture of that.

DSC04738The lemon and rose geranium have both bloomed for the first time this year. I almost gave up on these plants altogether as they have looked so pathetic the past two years. I do love the smell of their leaves though, and now I am really happy that I didn't yank them out when they were seriously unattractive.DSC04751

Most of the herbs are growing strong. I was able to order some more garden markers recently and look forward to their arrival.

My soul longs to spend the entire day in the garden, but my body can't take it, so I portion my time out always looking forward to the next time with my long list of things to do. It is so lovely to be outside in the garden.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

You need to load that picture of those opposums on their mama in large. That is CRAZY!

Ethan Garrett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danette Garrett said...

I love your flower pictures

Kirstie said...

me too!