Friday, October 23, 2009

millennial day

Dear Lilly Mary Stoker,

You were born the 16 June in 1889 and I was born 6 June in 1953, which means that we have missed each other in time. Still,  I am grateful for your family that has influenced mine in ways that I do not yet know, but surely will. I have been thinking about  you this past month. My oldest daughter,  Patricia, realized that your temple work had not been done, so my youngest daughter, Brianna went to the temple with our youth group to baptized and confirmed in your behalf. When Paul asked the Corinthians why people were baptized for the dead, I think he was actually testifying of our eternal nature and relationships.

A  couple of weeks later, Bishop Sampson’s wife, Sheila, did ordinance work in the temple for you. Today, Ramona Montgomery, continued the work in the temple in your behalf.

And, tonight  my husband knelt across the alter from me in the sealing room as we were proxies for your parents, Frederick Nicholson Stoker and Marion Lindley. Gail Berge acted in behalf of you, so that you could be sealed together forever to them.

These ordinances administered in the temple, represent the ultimate in our worship. They are the most profound expressions of our theology.   President Hinckley said that every man or woman who goes to the temple in a spirit of sincerity and faith leaves the house of the Lord a better man or woman. I believe that is true. So  now, I am a better person because of you.

Today was beautiful and bright. However, I spent the day inside the temple, enjoying all that was beautiful and bright in there. A Spirit of Love  pervaded the Holy House of the Lord. I saw most of the  female members who also came to the temple to do work for their families and friends. I marveled at the service given by many others who were there solely to make our day more comfortable and efficient.

I have been going to the temple since I was a teenager. Going to the temple is always a good experience and each time is wonderful  it its own way. Today was special for me because of the extraordinary unity that  I felt as we all worked together completing our goal of more than 1000 endowments. In actual fact, there were more than 2700 ordinances completed in the temple today including 1115 endowments.

But each ordinance is done one by one. Now yours have been completed. I  look forward to meeting you one day. I know that even though we have missed each other in time, we will not miss each other in eternity. Meanwhile, I promise to continue to serve in the temple  and do my part to influence our family,  the Family of God, for good.

Love,

Debra Ann Chytraus Carter

No comments: