Monday, February 25, 2008

laryngitis

Today I have laryngitis. I have been whispering to my class all day. The really funny/cute thing is that my class has been whispering to me all day too. And, they have been whispering to each other. I am wondering if my class would believe me if I told them I was going to have laryngitis for the rest of the school year.

LOL

Probably not. They were asking me as they left if I would be able to talk tomorrow.

This afternoon, I learned that:
  • Patients are advised to avoid speaking when possible. They are instructed to speak softly, but to avoid whispering, which further strains the voice.
  • Nasal breathing is very important so as not to dry the throat.
  • Throat clearing is very bad. The act of clearing one's throat is very stressful and may aggravate the laryngitis.
Unfortunately, I did spend the day whispering. Nasal breathing was not an option and clearing my throat was occasionally necessary, so we may NEED have to have another quiet day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Just listening to you talk is painful. Feel better.

Melody said...

The whispering was always my mother's strategy in classroom management. It is quite effective!
Hope you feel better VERY soon.