Monday, July 14, 2008

closet story

I am grateful to Mrs. Purdy. Ultimately, she is the one responsible for the design of our home. She installed closets in the bedrooms. Considering that closets weren't a given in homes until after WWII and our home was built in 1881, she was quite innovative. In those days, closets were generally small rooms for reading. Our closets are small, but at only seven feet by three feet, their intended purpose could not have been for reading, but for storage as they are currently used. Keeping my things organized in my little closet is always a challenge and Doug and I have shopped repeatedly for a dresser without success.

Finally, I decided the job just had to be done. I showed up at the house early Saturday afternoon with a 90 pound box carrying the contents of an unassembled dresser. I did ask my husband to haul it up the stairs for me. After all the heaving and hoeing, I was delighted to find it in the bedroom. I began to take the pieces out and read the directions for a rest-of-the-day project. Shortly thereafter, my kind husband, in spite of other plans he undoubtedly had, came my rescue.
I think it is beautiful. Now if I can just remember what I put in in which drawer.

3 comments:

Cherylyn said...

I LIKE!

Melanie said...

VERY impressive. I'm a fan!

Mary said...

It's beautiful.