Saturday, July 12, 2008

rain

We moved to Florida about 12 years ago. I was not excited. I can remember standing outside in the sub-tropical heat feeling like I personally was raining. The heat and the humidity were insane. Melanie and Cherylyn started high school and I remember that it seemed like it rained everyday exactly 5 minutes after school let out. Rain in Florida compared to other places that we had lived had a whole new dimension. Rain in Florida makes the word shower seem much more appropriate. Recently, a friend of mine told me that she and her sister loved to run outside with the shampoo! I haven't tried it, but I think I will someday when we have a lightning less storm. Six months went by...and one day I realized that I really, really liked living in Florida. Granted, the weather in January in Florida is quite different than the weather in July, but even the following summer, I realized that the humidity and I were going to be friends.

I love waking up to a beautiful sunny day. I love watching the clouds sneak in suddenly in the afternoon. Then comes the downpour that gives relief to all living things. I love the shiny washed world and earthy smell after the short but drenching storm. Someday I hope to take a really great picture of a Florida rainstorm...'til then...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love Florida showers!

SpaceyKasey said...

I needed to read this post...Thanks.