Thursday, August 14, 2008

back to school

BACK TO SCHOOL PIC 

It is back to school...

for the teachers this week. We have been doing some really interesting things like taking data inservice classes and using out-of-date data. Thankfully, our blood borne pathogen inservice went something like this:

Don't touch it.

Wash your hands.

In addition to the inservice classes, I will spare you the other exciting moments, there is all the politicking that goes on among the teachers, administrators and parents. It's not pretty. I want to stay out of it, but then I get sucked in, seemingly as if it were completely out of my control...offering an opinion here, taking on an issue there.

Meet the teacher is always interesting to say the very least. This year:

I am glad that I am teaching 2nd grade and not the kindergarten counterparts of several of my students.

I am thankful that the blue-haired, tattoo-laden mom has such a polite son.

I am wondering what kind of parent says to you that their son will be the worst in the class. And, approves that he is already sitting at the back, even though I told her that the kids were assigned seats alphabetically by  first name because it helps me learn their names faster on the first day.

I am thankful for parents who volunteer and parents who have read with their kids over the summer.

I am especially thankful for my teaching partner, Colleen.

I hope that all my students have a wonderful weekend, because Monday

It is back to school...

2 comments:

debbie said...

I hate the politicking, too. It makes me crazy and I try to stay out of it as well. At our inservice, the lady had the "extinguished" honor of presenting an award. That kept me awake for a little longer. We also had some funny comments about the BBP.

Rae said...

This will be my first year seeing some of the behind-the-scenes going ons as PTO President. From what I hear it may not be pretty...

I always wonder what teachers think of my little pumpkins. Of course as a parent you hope they are the best behaved in the class and the smartest and the cutest...well, you know! :)