Monday, December 08, 2008

the last day of the nativity tour

The nativity tour has been made possible in large part because my husband has supported me in my quest. Here is another of his finds. In Los Angeles on a business trip, he spotted this Peruvian gourd. Having served his mission in that country, he thought that it would be a great addition to our collection. For at least the past 40 years we have shared the Christmas holiday, with the exception of the two that he spent in Peru. DSC03639  

I have finished eight Christmas stockings for my grandkids the past eight years. A number of years ago, I saw a nativity Christmas stocking and fell in love with it. I had neither the need for a stocking nor the time to do it, but I bought it and brought it home. Sheepishly I showed it to Doug. He looked at me, smart man that he is, and said something like, "If I was there, I would have insisted that you get that." It makes it's debut this year.

DSC03645

My favorite nativity is a piece of Lladro that we bought in Malaga, Spain called Flight into Egypt. Fanciful as it is, I love the idea of movement shown in Mary's cape as well as the haste and concern evidenced in their mission to protect the Child even with such limited resources.

DSC03632

When the girls were young and we lived near our extended families, we  got together with Doug's family on Christmas Eve. His mother was a wonderful cook and not a whit lacking in presentation.  Afterwards, Aunt Lori always dressed the little kids up to showcase the nativity...

angels

...then the adults would take turns sharing their feeling about the Savior through stories or song or testimony or scripture. And so I close the nativity tour sharing these verses:

But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, ... to redeem them that were under the law...Wherefore thou art an heir of God through Christ...Now we...are the children of promise. (Galatians 4)

For this gift, I am truly grateful.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Your sock turned out so great! Can't wait to see it in person. :)