Saturday, December 06, 2008

the nativity tour day 3

When Melanie and Cherylyn were preschoolers, I had a little group that met at my house a couple of times a week. One of the children in the group gave me this plastic nativity set. I always have it where little ones can play with it. It is amazing to me that after about 25 years, we still have all the pieces!DSC03594

 

 

 

 

              Claremont, California

 

One Christmas break when we were living in the UK, we went to Germany.  I had read about German pewter military figures that had been popular since the 1700's and about a store that still produced the figures. I had a hunch they might also make something that I personally was more interested in. I remember that it was late one day, and no one but me was interested in making one more stop. When we pulled up to Knesebeckstrasse 88, Berlin, Doug told me just to hop out and have a look. I saw this nativity in the window. It was designed by Werner Scholtz's wife in 1955, and it seems as if it has been in production ever since. The set I bought 15 or more years ago can still be purchased today although it costs quite a bit more. At the time, the price also gave me pause. So I went back to the car and asked Doug what he thought. The whole family rallied and we spent the next little while in the shop looking at their interesting wares. DSC03601 Berlin, Germany

The figures are very small, just an inch or two tall. The detailing is exquisite front and back.DSC03613 DSC03615 of each and every piece.

In the same shop, I also purchased a nativity ornament.DSC03596        Berlin, Germany

When we lived in south Florida, I became friends with two Mexican women that were the wives of Doug's co-workers. They were both artistically talented and incredibly generous women. We got together weekly at one point in our lives. One year AnaMaria Villegas gave me a most unique nativity. A thread-like substance is dipped in liquid silver and then the figures are intricately designed and left to cool. I don't know what the process is called, but I understood from her that the  artisans that even know how to do it these days are very rare. DSC03605  Mexico

Each of the figures would be worth a close-up picture. DSC03607 DSC03606 

My other friend, Rosi Ennis, invited us to come and stay with their family in Mexico for a summer holiday. She is an art historian. She planned everyday so that we would get the history of Mexico in chronological order, starting with the pyramids and ending with the artist's mecca, San Miguel del Allende. It was there that we got these hand-painted figures.

 DSC03592  San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

DSC03580

Rosi gave me a couple of nativities over the years, including this one on the left that can almost fit under my 1/4 measuring cup.DSC03616..

 

 

...and this one on the right that is only marginally bigger.

 

 

I  got this nativity at a flea market.DSC03642 Mexico City, Mexico

5 comments:

Ashlea said...

What beautiful nativities and beautiful stories too. I just adore your blogs, Debbie, and am thankful to have you as a friend. You are so inspiring and help me truly find the goodness in each day and enjoy this adventure we are all on.

Melody said...

Really, really neat Debbie.

Mary said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing and reading about each nativity scene. How priceless!

Melanie said...

LOVING the nativities moo. i also like bring reminded about cool things that happened in my life. so cool! :)

debbie said...

This is good that you are doing this for yur posterity. When Lew's mom died she had tons of antiques. we didi know any of the stories behind them so they meant nothing to us except aesthetics.