Thursday, November 20, 2008

orange prices increase

This is my annual blog about my wonderful neighbor, dear old Mr. Gatch. I have been wanting a picture of him on his rickety old ladder. But I never ask  because I just couldn't stand it, if he fell while pulling mine. Last week he counted the oranges while he was bagging them up for me. 65 oranges for $3.50. That is a $.50  increase. I gave him $5 and told him to keep the change, which he, of course, refused. He might have even made me feel as if I had insulted him. I desperately hope that I didn't. Tricia said that they charge a dollar a piece for organic oranges in Charlotte. I don't know how much they charge here. But, I will be taking a couple of bushels with me next week to enjoy for the holiday.DSC03352

It has been cold this week, so we talked about the weather. He told me about pulling oranges in 1960 and how cold it was and how he "bout froze to death" one night. The next night he wore snake leggings. Snake leggings protect you from snake bites as you might imagine. I had never heard of such a thing. I wonder if we can wear them to waterski? The snake leggings kept him so warm that he actually had to remove one of his jackets. I love listening his stories.

When he went to get my oranges, I saw the ladder move. Hoping this was my opportunity, I ran to my car and grabbed my camera.

 DSC03350

Mr. Gatch at age 96 pulling oranges. Bless him.

4 comments:

Melody said...

He sounds like such a sweet man.

debbie said...

Everybody Loves Mr. Gatch!

Jordan Mathews said...

Wow he seems so energetic, I wish I had his abilities! Oranges do sound nice right now!

Mary said...

I know how much you love his oranges. It's great that he lives so close.