Tuesday, October 12, 2010

physical therapy

Last Tuesday, I saw my doctor. When he asked me to stand and raise my arm, I could only raise it a few inches. When I relaxed my arm, he could raise it, but not above shoulder height. On Wednesday I went to see the physical therapist. Her name is Eni.

Eni is from Brazil. I asked her if I could take a picture, but she said that I couldn't. I think Eni is about my age. Eni is also tiny like me. We bond over places we can go to find pants that fit.

I was annoyed when she called me "frail" at my first visit. Frail is a word for people much older and in much worse shape that I am in. I tell my grandkids that I am fragile. There is a huge difference...in my book.

Eni certainly doesn't treat me like I am frail. Actually, it all starts out rather nice. I lay on a motorized table with pillows under my head and legs to keep me comfortable. She covers my arm with hot packs and then I listen to earthy sounding new age music and check out the maps of musculature on the walls until she comes back.

The first day she asked me to lift my arm as high as I can from the table. I couldn't lift it one centimeter...not even one. That's humbling and scary, let me tell you. Then she lifted it and asked me if I could hold it there in the air for 3 seconds. We played that game in various positions. Then she massaged my arm and back. That is when we went from pain to PAIN. Eni tells me to let her know when it hurts. I tell her numerous times that it hurts, but she carries on. Finally, I told her that she was killing me! She smiles and carries on with a minuscule bit less intensity.

Eni gives me homework to do. I am a good patient. The next two times that I visit her, she is full of praise because I can lift my own arm--today, a little above shoulder height, impressing my husband who has been away all week. My arm, upper and lower, and back are sore all the time now. Eni says that means that I am working. She smiles and seems delighted and even surprised at how well I am doing.

I am praying, and I am working, and I am the recipient of many prayers on my behalf. I am grateful for the blessings bringing me along. I keep those thoughts in my mind, especially now, when it is time to exercise yet again.

2 comments:

debbie said...

Does Eni rhyme with meanie? Just wonderin'

Melody said...

Debbie Carter frail? No. Not at all.