Tuesday, October 19, 2010

sizing up her ring

DSC09463

I am a huge fan of Merry Jewelers in downtown Eustis.  They advertise to “…make it a Merry occasion.”  I have never actually purchased any jewelry there, but I end up going to the store several times a year for repairs and/or batteries for one or the other of us.

I have a set of mother’s rings and the girls each have a matching ring. When we lived in England, our landlordess, I guess I should say landlady, however lordess seems to suit her better, owned a similar set of rings.  I thought it was a cool idea.DSC09464 On one of our home leaves, I bought six rings and over the years gave one to each of the girls to mark an event in their lives. Many years later, after Brianna became part of our family, on a trip back to California, I went to the same place and ordered two more. Since she was 4 or 5 at the time, it is not surprising that our best guess for a ring size was not correct. However, Mr. Merry and Co. sorted that out for us. He shared some stories and when I asked, he told me that he is now 94. 

Brianna received a father’s blessing and her ring, the evening before she started high school.DSC09465She has often seen me wear my rings and she knew her sisters each had a matching one, but she didn’t imagine that I would have ordered one for her and kept it hidden all these years. I wouldn’t exactly say that it was a “merry occasion”, but certainly a joyful one.

No comments: