Friday, October 29, 2010

definitely carrying on

In 2001, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. The doctor wanted me to immediately go on cholesterol medication because I was so thin and so he opined that changing my diet would have no effect. Nevertheless, before I went on the medication, I did change my diet, and I was able to lower my cholesterol to a level that was acceptable to me.  I have faithfully monitored my diet for the past ten years always hanging near the 200 mark. Last December it was 212.

A couple of months ago, I read an article about the Whole Foods Market that referenced the Engine 2 Diet. Doing more research about this diet, I found that it claims to naturally lower your cholesterol. I decided to try it.

Two months have passed and today I went to have my blood work done. As I was driving along in my car, I pondered what kind of number I would need to carry on with this diet. It has taken some time and effort to nearly eliminate meat and dairy from my daily intake. It has required approaching grocery shopping differently and searching for new recipes and/or adapting old ones.

I decided that it would have to be at least 192 or lower to keep it up. When the result came through, I was astounded—

food_heart-1024x901

143.

In fact, I was so thrilled, I actually sent a thank you note to the author of the book via his website…and received a response!

“Absolutely fabulous Debbie!!!
May we have your permission to publish your story on our web site/blog? 
Thanks for sharing with us.  Plant-based really does work!”

2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

That is so cool!
I loved reading this.
Back when we were first married I had many intestinal issues, I was put on medications that I couldn't take while nursing or pregnant so I adjusted my eating and fixed the issue, no meds since. Thanks for the tips on cholesterol!

Melody said...

Way to go!